August has come and gone. Honestly, while graphically it looks like a decent month, it really wasn’t that great. Given previous months, I sadly write this overview disappointed in my efforts and output. I fell into the injury trap, got lazy and lost focus. It happens I guess. I’ve competed in a few races, knocked off a few goals for the year, but see a gigantic mountain of work ahead – Seriously, people train all year to compete in a marathon and that is just one piece of what I’m trying to pull off! It goes without saying, I’m starting to wonder what the hell I’m doing.
So I hit a little bit of a rut in August. I’d like to say I’m over it, but I’m not. A story for another post.
For now, August looked like this:
- I biked a lot because I’m good at it, it is easy and when things get tough for some reason I revert to that which I know best.
- I ignored running – put in some sad miles, but fell back on the fact that “I’m hurt and shouldn’t push it”.
- I ignored swimming – well, honestly, swimming is easy to ignore and it is really hard to walk to the pool. Plus it was raining, all the time. That’s as good excuse as any, right?
August by the numbers:
- Swimming: 3.05 km
- Cycling: 618.80 km
- Running: 19.30 km
- Total: 645.78 km
- Training Time: 26.89 hrs
- Total Calories Burnt: 19,552
September needs to be better. It isn’t going to be easy. I’m travelling 2 of the next 3 weeks. It is going to take some serious dedication and commitment to get back on track. It all starts with the Whistler GranFondo on September 10, a work trip the next week and an international work trip the last week of September. It is doable. I just need to focus.
There is no turning back. Flights are book. Registration fees are paid. Hotels are reserved. I’ve got a huge fan club joining me, which is unexpected and incredible!!!!! This is happening. Cozumel, November 27, 2016.
- Strength Training - 2-3 times a week. I’ve recently got a second opinion on my knee and have come to the sad realization that my strength, particularly in my glutes is …… well ……. Embarrassing! I’ve started a strength training route to correct this issue and hopefully my running issues.
- Swimming- I'm feeling more confident in the water, but there is a lot of work that needs to be done. My focus is going to continue to be getting away from breathing every 2 strokes to every 3 strokes. This is a challenge for me and is going to take time but I believe will pay huge dividends. I'm also going to focus on spending longer and longer periods in the pool, as shit just got real, 3.8 km is the new target.
- Running – well I just need to run. I’ve never ran more than 21km and well I’m going to need to. The good thing about travelling is running is pretty easy to accomplish.
- Diet- Always a focus for me. I'm going to really focus on getting to my ideal race weight; shed a few pounds and lessen the impact on my body when I run and lighten the load on my bike when I ride. I need to shed 10-15 pounds easy, obviously not in September but by November
Happy Training Everyone!